Certificate in Sandplay Therapy & Symbol Work with Children, Adolescents & Adults
Sydney. 5 Days. February 9th - 13th. 2008
Marymount, Castle Hill. $1,195. SY1608
Sandplay Therapy is a hands-on, expressive counselling and psychotherapy modality that has been in use for over seventy years.
Sandplay forms a bridge between verbal therapy and the expressive therapies, combining elements of each. Sandplay allows the deeper aspects of the psyche to be worked with naturally and in safety, and is highly effective in reducing the emotional causes behind difficult behaviours.
With an extensive research and literature base, Sandplay is a powerful therapeutic method for use by established professionals. It has been used with children, adolescents and adults, in schools, hospitals, welfare agencies and private therapy practices.
This is the most extensive training in Sandplay therapy available in Australia. Fifteen days over four workshops.
COMPONENTS OF THE COURSE
WORKSHOP ONE - Five days
- Introduction to Sandplay Therapy and Symbol Work - practical experience, history and theory
- Review of research and relevant literature
- Role-play techniques to support integration
- The use of drawing in counselling
- Input on sandplay equipment
- Contra-indications for use of symbolic work and role-play
- Creating mythological stories for self-understanding
- Illustrated case studies
WORKSHOP TWO - Four days
- Psychological mechanisms activated by sandplay
- Concepts from Jungian Psychology supporting sandplay
- Use of mandala artwork for integration
- Interpretation of spatial arrangements in the tray
- Categories of tray types
- Early research of the pioneers
- Dr Lowenfeld’s theoretical framework
- Skills practice and case illustrations
WORKSHOP THREE - Three days
- Use of sandplay with special client populations
- Use of Symbol Work in group programs
- Review of Dora Kalff’s theoretical framework
- Indications for analysis of sandpictures
- Working with dreams in the sandtray
- Co-transference in the sandplay session
- Refinement of facilitation skills
WORKSHOP FOUR - Three days
- Case presentations by students
- Group supervision
- Beyond the Shadow - completion trays
- Skills development
‘Thank you for the introduction to Sandplay - the gentle way you as facilitators approached our learning, I believe, had a huge impact on how excited I am to have knowledge of this therapy. I have used it with a few of my young clients and the impact it has had on them is incredible.
Carol Long, Centacare.
I want you to know that your training changed my work practice and also my life practice. The biggest thing I learned was to trust the process.
The course last week was fabulous!
Margaret Smeaton, Dept. of Juvenile Justice.
Thanks for the excellent sandplay course. It was an extremely beneficial experience for me, both from a personal and a professional perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed the highly professional and informative, yet relaxed and collegial facilitation.
Fiona Pienaar MIT, New Zealand.