Back to Previous Page
Certificate in TRANSPERSONAL EXPRESSIVE THERAPIES with Adult Clients
Specialised Extension Skills - Supporting Change Processes
This is a course of five 3-day workshops = 15 days, 105 hours over 9 months. Recognised by the Australian Counselling Association
for Professional Development Points
Course creator: Dr Mark Pearson.
Available in Phillip Island Starts 27 October 2016
This Certificate course is designed for those who are drawn to a strength-based, emotion-focussed and person-centred approach. As well as preparing practitioners for a more effective support role, the course provides many opportunities for expanding self-discovery with the emotional intelligence, bringing to life use of self in a heart-centred therapeutic approach.
The course introduces a range of Expressive Therapies modalities in each workshop. Each workshop is organised around a core topic and focuses on developing skills with several modalities.
You will gain in-depth training in the use of proactive, experiential counselling methods with adults. It will expand your creativity and you will learn through action - increasing your confidence through blending theory and extensive skills development.
Through discussion, study, experiential interaction and self-reflection you will develop both effectiveness with Expressive Therapies, heightened self-awareness as well as enhancing your support and self-care skills.
The course aims to equip counsellors, therapists, psychologists, social workers, chaplains and welfare professionals to use the Expressive Therapies framework and exercises with adult clients in their particular area of expertise. The course assumes that participants have already completed basic counselling training. Although entrance to the course is not restricted, Certification is awarded only to participants with previous qualifications - or extensive experience.
MODALITIES USED IN THE COURSE
Expressive Counselling Methods; Expressive and Reflective Writing; Process Drawing; Mandala Artwork; Emotional Release Processes; Individuation and Differentiation Processes; Bioenergetics; Symbol Work; Visualisation; Self-Awareness.
The trainer's perspective on counselling utilises an experiential growth-focussed approach that aims to empower clients and counsellors through a high degree of acceptance and a wide choice of counselling techniques. The philosophy of the course and methods are in keeping with the principles of Person-centred and Transpersonal approaches, where the client’s personal meaning-making is highly valued. Trust in the healing mechanisms of the client's psyche, and providing a wide range of healing methods, is central to Expressive Therapies.
GAINS FROM THE COURSE
This course offers the opportunity to gain valuable skills and a wider conceptual framework for one-to-one support of adult counselling and psychotherapy clients using expressive methods. These methods increase creativity and effectiveness in agency counselling and in private practice. The program also provides a rich experience of the inner world and healing experiences that can enhance participants' personal and relational effectiveness. Practitioners' growth has a direct influence on clients' growth. Developing deeper self-awareness greatly improves the way we relate professionally, and care for ourselves personally.
COMPONENTS OF THE COURSE
The course consists of fifteen training days, scheduled as five workshops of three days each - a total of 105 hours over about nine months. There are two written assignments. An extensive, loose-leaf manual will be provided at each workshop. A Book of Readings will also be provided during the course. It is recommended that students keep an A3 size Process Journal that records all activities.
WORKSHOP ONE: 3 days
· Overview of ET and the psychodynamic paradigm
· Client-centred therapeutic skills
· Multiple Intelligences in counselling
· Client self-awareness and emotional mapping
· Emotional processing: expressive writing and art
· Introducing emotional release activities
· Contraindications for emotionally activating activities
WORKSHOP TWO: 3 days (Workshop One is a prerequisite)
Moving Beyond Old Patterns - Family of Origin Work
· Exploring family of origin issues - using art and symbols
· Healing inner child scripts - reducing reactivity
· Moving beyond family patterns in relationships
· Emotional release facilitation skills
· Expressive writing, emotional release processes and symbol work.
WORKSHOP THREE: 3 days (Workshop One is a prerequisite)
Individuation and Differentiation - Making Sense of Self
· Client empowerment paradigms
· The psychology of the selves - transforming the Inner Critic
· Differentiation Processes - developing awareness and clarity
· Jung's Framework for the Individuation Journey
· The mechanisms of repression and emotional healing
WORKSHOP FOUR: 3 days (Workshop One is a prerequisite)
Focus on Transpersonal and Perinatal Influences
· The Inward Arc - Spirituality in counselling
· Brief history of transpersonal psychotherapy
· Perinatal influences on the psyche, and on relationships
· Working with transpersonal issues - conceptual frameworks
· Introduction to meditative practices for clients
WORKSHOP FIVE: 3 days (Workshop One is a prerequisite)
Integrative Practices and Enhancing Creativity
· Research on ET, emotion-focussed and transpersonal practice
· Visualisation and imagination for enhancing self-esteem
· Integration practices - mandala art, reflection, relaxation
· Creative session planning, self-care, and supervision
· Creating the ideal therapeutic environment
These include the completion of two short written assignments and attendance at all training days. It is a principle of Expressive Therapies that facilitators personally experience the exercises they will use with clients in order to present them safely and confidently. Be prepared for a rich and intense time of professional and personal development.
COMMENTS ON PREVIOUS COURSES
Carl Jung (1964) stated that no textbook can teach psychology; one learns only by actual experience. Completing the Expressive Therapies course provided an experiential learning environment that assisted me to reconnect with my intuitive wisdom which now guides my academic knowledge in my psychological practice.
- Carol Farnell - Psychologist, Expressive Therapist - Brisbane
The combination of consistent focus on self healing within the framework of sound theory, extensive integration and support, has resulted in measurable change. The integrity of the teaching, the absence of ego, the emphasis on balancing the aspects of holistic humanity, (mental, emotional, physical and spiritual), the environment of emotional safety, theexperience of the facilitators; the proven course format;the concepts of a strength-based philosophy and the notion of learning by doing; these are some of the attributes that make this course life-changing both personally and as a therapist.-
Georgie Hovey - Counsellor and Therapist - Victoria
A time of awakening to myself, finding an energy and enthusiasm for life that I've not experienced before I embarked on this journey of self-discovery through Expressive Therapies. It's been the hugest challenge of my life, but well worth the effort. And the journey has just begun....
- Jo Glenday - Workplace Trainer - Sydney